GCRF African SWIFT’s overarching goal was to deliver a step change in African weather forecasting capability from hourly to seasonal timescales, and build research capability to continue forecasting improvements in Africa for the foreseeable future.
To accomplish this, the project:
- Built capacity within African forecasting agencies and improved communication links to forecast users
- Improved tropical forecasting ability on hourly and seasonal timescales
- Assisted African partners to develop capacity for sustained training of weather forecasters
- Translated results to the wider developing world
- Benefitted African populations, public and private sector organisations